Sunday, June 25, 2006

Samsung D807 Mini-Review & Tips

Last week I decided that I needed the ability to access the Internet on my cell phone and my current phone lacked this function. Yes, I know...not quite the best idea, but I wanted to try out several services such as Google Calendar notifications and this seemed to be the best way to go about it. So, I picked up a brand spanking new Samsung D807 slider cell phone. Since I have only had this phone a few days I will leave a full review for a later date but so far I am quite satisfied with my purchase. One feature I wanted to try out right away was the ability for the phone to function as a modem (in a pinch) for my Macbook Pro. This effort required several small software and settings adjustments that took me several hours to track down. In the interests of sharing the wealth, I will give a quick walkthru here on how I managed to get the modem feature (Edge) working through Bluetooth on a Macintosh notebook using the Cingular Edge network.

Step One: Get the software! Before you can do anything you need the right modem scripts which can be found here. (You need to grab the generic 3G scripts.)

Step Two: Get the details on which settings to program into the Internet Connect software. Just in case the forum post goes away here are the basic settings:

Service Provider: Cingular (optional)
Account Name: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
Password: CINGULAR1
Telephone Number: wap.cingular
Step Three: Pair your phone using Bluetooth with your Mac and use the above information when prompted. I selected "Modem" during this process and was prompted for the information automatically. If you want (or you don't get the prompt) you can enter this information (or edit it) through the Network settings under System preferences in the Apple menu.

If all goes well you should be able to make a connection through your phone (works great using the D807!)

Another great tip for anyone using the Samsung D807 would be to download Opera Mini, which I found to be significantly faster than the built-in browser.

1 Comments:

At 9:56 PM, Blogger Karen said...

What a nifty phone! I need help learning mine. We are both cell phone whores

 

Post a Comment

<< Home